What do people think about blondes and pretty girls?
- they are dumb
- they work as secretaries
- they sleep with their boss
- no-one actually likes themád
Experiences and Consequences
What can this type of thinking and judging lead to?
French scientists found out that stereotypes about dumb blondes can cause unconscious changes in behavior. They let respondents fill out an intelligence test after showing them pictures of blondes or brunettes. According to the Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, the respondents did worse after seeing the blonde ladies than they did after seeing the dark haired ones. This was not the case only among male respondents, females compared accordingly.
Did you know that
- first female president of Croatia was Kolinda Grabar-Kitarović and she was blonde?
- the idea of a dumb, pretty blonde was built upon by actress Iva Pazderkova, who did stand-up comedy about the topic?
- prejudices against blondes were used in the movie Legally Blonde (2001)? The main character finished Harvard and became a lawyer. In the original book, Elle Woods was supposed to study at Stanford but the university didn’t want to be connected with the movie.